Turn Back the Clock – Chiropractic Care for Middle- Aged Adults
Getting older is a natural process that every person goes through. As we age, our body changes and so does our lifestyle. We may start to notice little things such as lower back pain when doing yard maintenance, cracking and popping in our knees, or waking up with neck and shoulder pain from just sleeping the wrong way.
Most of us tend to brush pain and discomfort off as inconvenient or “just getting older”. While that’s partially true, you can act now to slow the progressive effects of aging and maintain a fit, strong and healthy body. Chiropractic treatment improves the quality of life for middle-aged adults by increasing mobility, restoring flexibility, and alleviating pain that often comes with aging.
What Happens to Our Bodies as We Enter Middle-Age?
Middle-aged adults typically experience some muscle weakness, pain, and discomfort by their mid-forties that will gradually worsen as they age. We begin to experience changes in our joints, muscles, and tendons that affect the way we are able to move and our physical strength.
Some of the physical changes that occur as our bodies age are:
• Loss of bone density or mass, especially in women after menopause.
• The fluid that lubricates the joints decreases
• The development of mineral deposits around the joints
• Lean body mass decreases
• Muscle fibers shrink
• Spinal vertebrae lose mineral content and become thinner
• Spinal discs, which cushion our vertebrae become lose fluid and become thinner
• Joint cartilage begins to wear away
These changes can lead to bones that break more easily, inflammation, arthritis, poor posture, lack of mobility, decreased strength, and pain. None of that sounds fun. The good news is there are steps we can take to slow those processes and defy the aging process.
How Chiropractic Care Helps Defy the Aging Process
Chiropractic care doesn’t just begin and end with back pain. Chiropractors focus on a patient’s overall health. We believe in the body’s natural ability to heal itself and the importance of building a solid foundation so that our patients feel as good as our bodies were designed to feel. We not only focus on treating injuries and eliminating pain we also delve deep into our patients’ diet and lifestyle to work together and create a complete plan to achieve optimal health.
Over the years, many of my chiropractic patients ask what they can do to feel and move better to maintain their active lifestyles as they are growing older. Some patients recognize they have let their health slide and want to know how to get back to feeling good. They don’t want to rely on pain medications or other pharmaceuticals when they don’t have to. We’ve all seen older people living a happy and healthy life and we have seen the opposite. Prevention and maintenance are key to achieving that happy and healthy goal and enjoying life.
At Dutchess Braincore and Wellness Center I built my entire practice around the concept of offering my patients a central location where they can access knowledge and services all designed to help them achieve better health, naturally. This includes maintaining good health as we age.
• Chiropractic Care is an effective way to relieve chronic pain in the neck, back, and joints most of us experience as we get older. It also helps to eliminate restrictions in movement due to injury or inflammation. Chiropractors help relieve pain and restore mobility by adjusting the vertebrae of the spine, skillfully manipulating joints to restore alignment, and other therapeutic methods. Pain will be reduced, and you can often get back to your normal day-to-day activities without any restrictions.
• Nutritional Therapy is a process that identifies and corrects poor dietary habits and key nutrient deficiencies that lead to inflammation and poor digestion. A Nutritional Therapist works with you to create a plan to help you maximize essential nutrient absorption specific to your age and physical condition and build a stronger performing, more energized, pain-free body from within.
• Supplements Over the past twenty years I have learned the benefits of offering high quality supplements in my practice. Natural supplements such as glucosamine and curcumin are excellent natural anti-inflammatories that help with arthritis, joint, and muscle pain. These supplements work as a perfect adjunct to Chiropractic care and exercise.
• Corrective Exercise As we age and experience reduced bone density and muscle loss, we often add additional stress to overworked muscle groups. A certified corrective exercise specialist is trained to assess static posture and transitional movement to identify restricted and overworked muscle groups. A corrective exercise plan aims to reduce pain and risk of injury while restoring strength and mobility to affected muscle groups.
• Weight Loss Being overweight is one of the greatest contributors to lack of energy, loss of flexibility, inflammation, and musculoskeletal pain. Our ChiroThin weight loss program is an anti-inflammatory diet that provides our patients with a safe and effective way to lose pounds quickly. Reducing the strain on our muscles and joints is one of the best ways to eliminate and relieve pain. Reducing our weight by just ten pounds significantly improves our health and how our bodies function.
You can turn back the clock on aging and get back to a more active lifestyle
The good news is as many more people educate themselves on available alternative medicine, therapies, and tools to keep our bodies strong, middle-age is no longer the obstacle to an active lifestyle we once thought it was. Adults who are looking to improve their health and maintain an active lifestyle for years to come should consider seeing a chiropractor and reap the benefits of our natural solutions to the aging process. We’re only as old as we feel.
Find out more about the programs we offer here on our website or give our Hopewell Junction office a call (845) 592-2237.
Dr. William McKenna
Dr.William McKenna has been a Chiropractor for over 20 years in Westchester and Dutchess County, helping his patients to achieve greater health and live more active lifestyles. He is the founder of McKenna Family Chiropractic located in Pelham, NY, and Dutchess Braincore Therapy and Wellness Center located in Hopewell Junction, NY. He graduated from Life University in 1999 and has been advocating for better health, naturally, since. Dr. Will believes a smile is the first step in healing and building valued relationships with his patients. Book Appointment
Chiropractic Care Consultation Request
New Patient Special
47$ One Initial Chiropractic Exam and Adjustment